Artist Spotlight: Lorraine Inman

L. Inman

Portrait of a Friend – Lorraine Inman 2020

Welcome to another artist feature! Every week, we highlight another student artist and their unique skills and style. This week, we’re focusing on Lorraine Inman and her digital paintings. 

Lorraine is a sophomore at Green Level. Besides making art, she also loves reading manga like One Piece and Death Note, playing her favorite video games, and hanging out with friends to play rounds of Dungeons and Dragons. “All of these things also serve as influences and inspiration for my art,” Lorraine says.

Lorraine has been drawing for as long as she can remember, but she started taking art seriously about three years ago. “By the time I got to high school, I realized being an artist/designer is what I want to do with my life,” she says. She’s learned with both classes and practice on her own time. Since then, all her effort has paid off with amazing skills. 

Although Lorraine creates traditional art with supplies like ink, pens, paint, and charcoal, she’s recently been more focused on the digital aspect of art. “I started on programs like Sketch and Ibis Paint X, but these days I use Clip Studio Paint,” she explains. Although most of her art are portraits, Lorraine also uses elements of fantasy and surrealism in her style and coloring to put her own spin on the faces. With her warm colors, painterly textures, and unique details and lighting, Lorraine’s artwork is the kind you could get immersed in forever. 

Lorraine’s number one tip for other artists is that taking breaks is important too. While practice is crucial, overworking can lead to burnout. “Burnout is really common among artists. Even when you’re doing something you enjoy, you can get in a cycle of forcing yourself to work more and more. In a creative field, that can be especially detrimental!” she says. Even if it isn’t the easiest advice to follow, even for her, it’s important for any artist!

Thank you to Lorraine Inman for her interview! If you would like to recommend yourself or another student for our artist spotlights, please email [email protected].