Gator of the Week: George Cheng

G. Cheng

George Cheng at competition.

One of our very own students, sophomore George Cheng, has competed in a competition called JSHS. The Junior Science and Humanities Symposium is for all high school students and highlights many different science and humanities topics. It promotes original research and experimentation in the sciences, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) and publicly recognizes specific students for their outstanding achievements. At this event, you can present your project through either a poster or oral criteria towards the judges. 

For a little more information on JSHS, the regional and national symposia are held during the academic year and they reach more than 8,000 high school students throughout the United States. 

The main mission of the Junior Science and Humanities Symposium is to promote STEM topics at a high school level, to recognize the significance of humane and ethical principles, and to expand the horizons of research-oriented students. 

George’s project stems personally from his family and type 2 Diabetes. His project reflects on his own morals. 

When asked whether he was going to take his idea further, Cheng said “I am definitely hoping to patent this design and hoping to compete in even more science fairs in the future.”

Students must first participate in their regional symposium where they compete for selection to present at the national symposium. Cheng and his exemplary project made it to the next level, nationals. In fact, he traveled to Charlotte with all his expenses paid. 

If you see George around, be sure to ask him about his project and congratulate him on making it to nationals!