The Terrifying Start of High School

The Terrifying Start of High School

Going to a new school can be stressful, especially starting high school. There are so many students, and the campus is large. This makes the transition extremely difficult for many students, especially those who find that they do not know anyone. How are you going to fit in? Will anyone like you? What are you going to do if you can’t find friends? Are you going to have to sit alone at lunch? Who will talk to you in class? And, most importantly, where do you belong?
Surprisingly, these are the questions many kids ask themselves when going to high school whether they know other students or not. If you are feeling this way, you are not alone. More of your peers have these concerns than you think. Here are a few ideas that you might find helpful.
First, look into the different things that the school offers, such as clubs or sports. These can provide opportunities to meet others with similar interests as yourself. This can make it easier to engage in conversations with new people because you have common interests. Here at Green Level, there are numerous clubs and sports, so you are bound to find something that interests you.
Second, you could try making goals for yourself. One goal could be to challenge yourself to talk to a different person in one of your classes each day. Another goal could be to join a new friend at their lunch table. Doing things like this can seem scary or intimidating, but the more you do it, the easier it will get.
Third, take advantage of the student services offered at Green Level. There are school counselors available to help students acclimate to high school. They can provide information on resources and other programs within Green Level to make your high school experience easier.
Keep in mind, if you are a student who feels like they don’t need any extra help or already have good friends, then don’t forget that if you see someone sitting alone at lunch or in class, you can still go over and talk to them. You never know what a small act of kindness can do for someone.