GL vs Broughton Men’s Basketball Preview

Photo Credits: Glenn Garver

The Green Level men’s varsity basketball team tips off their first game of the season this Friday, November 17th at 8 PM vs the Broughton Capitals. Broughton finished 3rd in the CAP-6 conference last season with a 16-14 record. The Capitals lost their 5 leading scorers from last year and are in need of someone to step up and lead this team if they want to beat the Gators. They were a good shooting team over the summer and have a lot of guys who can spot up. The Gators will need to put them out of the game early and stay on the gas pedal throughout the rest of the game. 

Green Level was 19-9 last season and finished 2nd in the SWAC. The players have been working out ever since the season ended, playing in tournaments together, and improving their skills. Jr Isaac Ericksen referred to the offseason as being “long” and how he is “ready to get back out on the court”. Ericksen has received offers from Arkansas State, Mercer, Charleston, and Furman and will be looking to build that list this season. He is 238 points away from the 1,000 mark in his career. I asked Sr. Tye Cain what he thought the keys to the game were and he said, “The key to us winning is definitely going to be staying together as a team, making the extra pass and playing hard.” 

The Green Level men’s JV basketball team also tips off their first game of the season on Friday, November 17th at 5 PM vs. Broughton. The JV team is coming off their best season in school history with a record of 18-4 and finishing 2nd in the SWAC. This team lost all 5 of their starters from last year to the varsity team. I asked So. Jacob Fedich how this team will continue their success from last season, he said, “We’re going into this season with the mentality that last year wasn’t a fluke and that we’re a team to stay.” I also talked to So. Nate Harris about the keys to the Gators winning tomorrow. He said, “We need to stay engaged on defense, controlling the pace of the game and the sophomores need to help encourage the freshman.”