Disney + is Better than Netflix

On November 12, one of the most anticipated streaming sites finally launched itself for the public: Disney Plus. The streaming service contains all Disney content- and that includes Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, and Pixar franchises. Disney’s near-monopoly of the film industry may not be good for studios, but it’s perfect for us consumers.

First off, it’s cheaper than Netflix. Netflix comes at $8.99 monthly at the lowest, and Disney+ only costs 6.99! I know that two dollars doesn’t sound like much, but it adds up. Saving money and watching the best content available? It’s a no-brainer.

And speaking of the content, what content it is! Everybody likes Disney, right? And if they don’t then they definitely like one of their many franchises. Imagine Netflix without all those movies, stuck on creating more things that nobody really watches. Disney+ has all of its wonderful movies for your viewing, along with originals such as Noelle, about Santa Claus’s children taking up the mantle, The World According to Jeff Goldblum, where the star talks about the history behind many everyday items, The Mandalorian, a Star Wars series, and High School Musical: The Musical: The Series, a heartfelt show about students putting on the musical at their school where the movie was shot. There are also many Marvel series in the works, including The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki, and What If…? coming to the site in the next few years. Freshman Megan Millers says that this is her favorite part of the new site. “It has such a variety,” she tells me. “Not only are there Disney movies and shows, but there’s also Marvel shows and movies. There’s even original content made just for Disney+!”

Disney+’s shows and pricing are wonderful, but how can it pull happy customers from Netflix? First off, it can advertise its shows and movies through other films they own. They can also pull their content from Netflix, which has already begun. As of now, so early into the game, 64% of the thirty Netflix-loving students interviewed admitted they are switching or want to switch to Disney+ in the future. 

It really depends on your thoughts: Netflix, old and expensive and partnering with underused show companies such as Nickelodeon as a sad attempt to pull you in? Just producing content for the heck of saving themselves, and not to provide entertainment? Or Disney, fresh and new and full of the content you really want to watch. I think the decision is pretty clear.