Student Artist Spotlight: Tanya Basak

A. Guo

Artist Tanya Basak

As an artist, Tanya Basak shines.

Her paintings display concentrated and swift strokes, strong and vivid colors, and striking realism. You may have seen her work on display at the Art Market or on the Green Level Fine Arts Instagram. Tanya Basak is not only a sophomore student here at Green Level High School, but also a very talented and hard working artist.

“I went to my first outside art class in third grade,” Basak says, but mentions that she started drawing in school even before that. Her experience shows through her beautiful and skilled art work.

Currently, she is in Art Club, taking classes outside of art, and next semester she will be taking an art class in school with Mr. Mapp. Basak says she’s currently, “working on watercolor portraits right now and I started a mural in my room of Maleficent as a dragon” which she designed by herself. If you would like to take a look at the finished products when they come out, you would probably be able to find them on Basak’s instagram, @tanyaart05.

Art takes time and passion and Basak says she loves art because, “I’m good at it I guess. It’s just easy. You don’t have to know math [to do art]. It [also] helps me relax and stuff. Especially when it’s school time.”

Basak says she’s really excited for art class next semester, as she is planning on setting up the National Art Honor Society (NAHS) with Mr. Mapp. Some projects NAHS could potentially take on could be different fundraising events, but Basak says it will take time to figure everything out. 

Becoming a graphic designer is what Basak is interested in right now, but she says she is “absolutely” interested in doing art in her future career. You can support Tanya through her social media and future art events.