Presidential Election Turnout

Made by A. Kalluru in Canva

Green Level students views on the results of the election.

Joseph R. Biden will be the 46th President of the United States.

The race first started with Trump in the lead but as the mail-in/absentee ballots and early votes flowed in, Biden started to gain a significant amount of votes resulting in a blue lead. As shown in the image based on the Paths to victory, the Republican party needed more swing states to win than the Democratic party. However, when Pennsylvania flipped to blue it was determined that Biden would win the presidency.

(Graphic made by A. Kalluru)

With North Carolina being a swing state, there is a considerably diverse population of people with different political views in our community. For example, areas like the Research Triangle that have colleges like Duke, UNC, NC State, and Wake Tech have plenty of young college students who usually have liberal or democratic views, unlike the other more rural areas that are republican or conservative.

To gauge the view of students in our school, Green Level High, two students were asked about their opinion and reaction to the presidential election turnout. Similar to North Carolina’s diverse view, the student’s responses moderately differed as well. Leezza Ghimire, a junior, expressed her support for Biden and Harris, “I’m glad that Biden defeated Trump, our nation really needs someone who cares about the American people and has a plan to fight COVID-19. Although I don’t agree with a lot of Biden’s policies and actions, I think at this moment, Biden is a better President for our country and will be a smarter leader than Trump was.”

Another student, a sophomore from Green Level High, a John Doe who wishes to be anonymous, has slightly different views. “I don’t think Biden is a fit leader for our country due to his past 47 years in politics, however, it is different now and I think that with the assistance of other individuals within the Biden campaign he may be fit.” In addition, the student brings up concerns regarding the future Vice President, “I fear that Biden may step down and have Harris become president, she has had a horrible past and would most likely govern with very liberal/socialist ideologies. I also think that she was poorly chosen as VP for Joe Biden since she was chosen solely based on her sex and race, I think it is morally wrong that people will look at things like sex, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc. rather than character.” Despite his views, Doe gives a message that many people of our country should acknowledge, “Regardless of the outcome, I will respect whoever becomes our president and wish them nothing but the best. Again, no one knows what’s going to happen in the future and we can only hope that whoever is elected will effectively lead us as a country.”