Freshman Shine in Opening Men’s Lacrosse Game

The Gators Drained the Jaguars in the Swamp.

E. Stein

The Gators celebrate a victory over conference rival Athens Drive.

On Thursday, the Gators had their first game of the season against Athens Drive. This was long-awaited since their first game was supposed to be a week and a half ago. They have already had three games get canceled due to either weather conditions or COVID. The lacrosse team has been ready for this game for a while. The atmosphere of Thursday night was buzzing with excitement and anticipation. It was a chilly February night and the Gators were geared up with long sleeve shirts under their uniforms.

The Gators played a great game all the way through and managed to get a huge win over Athens. The final score ended up being 12-6, with many Gators getting the first goals of their high school careers. 

I think we came out ready to play with our foot on the gas

— Skyler Stein

Standing out for the Gators was number 13, goalie and captain Skyler Stein. Skyler had a lights out game, only allowing four goals and making countless saves. Skyler said, “I think we came out ready to play with our foot on the gas and kept the pedal to the metal the whole game”. The first goal of the season for the Gators was scored by a long pole, Holden Meyer. 

All the freshmen who played performed exceptionally well. Two freshmen, Austin Hyrn and Jackson Spells had a hat trick.  Another freshman, Myles Berger had the first goal of his high school career. The future of Green Level Lacrosse looks very bright.

What a great start to the Green Level lacrosse season. Hopefully, the wins just keep on coming. Good luck Gators!