Zendaya and Lizzo Slay at the Emmys

Television Academy

Lizzo and Zendaya Slay at the 2022 Emmys.

On September 12th, 2022, the 74th annual Emmy Awards was held in Downtown Los Angeles, hosted by Kenan Thompson. Many celebrities showed up wearing fashionable outfits and amazing looks. Find out who won and thoughts on the night from students at Green Level.

First, the awards. There were 18 outstanding categories and many fantastic shows were nominated. 

In Outstanding Drama Series: Succession.

Outstanding Comedy: Ted Lasso.

Outstanding Limited Series: The White Lotus.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Lee Jung-Jae for Squid Game.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series: Zendaya for Euphoria.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Matthew Macfadyen for Succession.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Julia Garner for Ozark.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series: Jason Sudeikis for Ted Lasso.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series: Jean Smarts for Hacks.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: Brett Goldstein for Ted Lasso.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: Sheryl Lee Ralph for Abbott Elementary.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or TV Movie: Michael Keaton for Dopesick.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or TV Movie: Amanda Seyfried for The Dropout.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or TV Movie: Murray Bartlett for The White Lotus.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or TV Movie: Jennifer Coolidge for The White Lotus.

Outstanding Reality/Competition Series: Lizzo’s Watch Out for the Big Grrrls.

Outstanding Variety Talk Series: Last Week Tonight With John Oliver.

Outstanding Variety Sketch Series: Saturday Night Live.

Many people at Green Level had a lot to say about the awards. Overall, students and staff believe everyone who did win deserved their victory. They said everyone was very hard working and they got the awards not because of luck but because they decided to keep trying. 

“I watched many of the shows that won.” Mr. Cooper said. “I guess that shows that I’m amongst others that enjoy good quality shows.”

This award show was very inclusive. Many POC and women of color were at the event and won awards. “The Emmys were awesome this year because it was refreshing to see so many Black women winning awards.” Ms. Haynes stated.

They also decided to share opinions on the outfits. When asked his favorite, Mr. Cooper states, “I am a person who likes classic attire… so I would go with Jason Sudeikis from Ted Lasso. He had a nice simple black tux. Just taking in that classic look was really..really cool, I dug that.” 

There were many students and staff who loved Lizzo and Zendaya’s outfits the most and believed they were the best dressed there. Ms. Williams claims, “Lizzo and Zendaya looked amazing, their dresses were fabulous! I just want to wear everything Lizzo wears.”

Ms. Haynes believes everyone was “slaying in fabulous outfits.” She says, “specifically calling out Lizzo, with that fabulous red voluminous dress. We love a woman who can take up space.”

We also had a student here at Green Level, Ava Harm, who really loved Lizzo and Zendaya’s dresses the most. “I really liked Zendaya’s dress, or Lizzo’s. I like the big poofy dresses..like they’re really pretty in my opinion, but either Zendaya or Lizzo was definitely the best dressed.” 

This year’s Emmy award winners are all well deserved and everyone’s outfits were amazing! Make sure to watch out for next year’s Emmys!