Winter Chorus Concert Preview

Poster by Ms. Faust and Alyson Springer

GLHS’s Winter Chorus Concert is on Tuesday, December 13th.

Green Level’s Winter Chorus Concert is coming up on Tuesday, December 13th. The concert will feature winter and holiday music from the three Green Level choirs and two A capella groups: The Level Singers (the beginning/intermediate choir), Bella Voce (the advanced treble choir), The Tenor/Bass Choir, and the Combined and Treble A capella groups. These five groups have been working hard with Ms. Faust throughout the semester to bring to you their first official concert of the year. After a fairly successful Fall Informance in October, the chorus students are ready to show you what they’ve got.

The concert’s setlist will of course contain a lot of holiday music, such as GLHS-Chorus fan-favorite “Carol of the Bells” in addition to other festive tunes from all different cultures. There will also be some winter-themed music, such as a lesser-known song from Frozen called “Vuelie”, and a choral piece called “Tundra” composed by Ola Gjeilo and famously performed by the BYU Women’s Chorus. “Tundra” soloist Charlotte Rebeyrat of Bella Voce says she’s very excited to sing her solo and is looking forward to seeing all elements of the concert come together. “I have fears but I think we’ll get there,” she says. Various other pieces will be performed that break away from the holiday theme and serve as a representation of what Green Level’s choir students work on year-round. Ms. Faust’s Renaissance-woman teaching style has allowed students to sing pieces in languages and styles of music from all over the world, and this will be showcased during the Winter Chorus Concert.

Many choir students think that people who aren’t in the program would get a lot out of attending the Winter Chorus Concert. Kennedy Riggins of Bella Voce says “It’s a winter show, so there’s a lot of winter songs in it that everyone would enjoy. You’d think chorus concerts would be boring but we’re doing a lot of fun and entertaining things as always, so stay tuned for that.” Shivank Tiwari of The Tenor/Bass Choir agrees. “I think coming and supporting the arts is always a good initiative for someone who’s not in choir to have, but also to just have an experience they’re probably not gonna have anywhere else in their own high school with their own people is just really valuable,” he says. “It’s also the holiday time, I think everyone should come out and celebrate the cheer in the air.”

These students also think that they’ve grown significantly with their choirs since the Fall Informance in October. “We had some mishaps in the first Informance and I think that we were just getting in the groove of things. We’ve really come together as a choir since then and I think that shows in our singing,” says Kennedy. Cooper Champ of The Tenor/Bass Choir also attests to all of the choirs’ improvement. “I think we saw our potential and realized if we really worked hard we could do way better. Behavior, sometimes, for the guys is an issue but Ms. Faust does a really good job with us. The Tenors and Basses just gotta stay focused in this final week before the concert.”

The Winter Chorus Concert is arguably the most exciting of the year. The Green Level Chorus Program is going to officially show off its musicality and unity for the first time this year, and couple that with the themes of the holiday season. Be sure to come out to the show on Tuesday, December 13th at 7 PM. Tickets are $5 for students and $10 for general admission. Get your tickets here or at the door the night of!