How to Continue Good Grades into the Second Quarter

Congratulations on passing Quarter 1! But if Quarter 1 was tough for you, I hope this article will help you out in Quarter 2. This article will not guarantee that you will make it to all A’s and maybe a few B’s, but if you stay focused and follow the tips/strategies in this article, you can improve your academic results.

First of all, stay focused. Quarter 2 is the time when everyone sees their grades fall as low as the stock market crash during the Great Depression because we’re all excited for winter break and different holidays. So don’t focus on winter break, and instead, focus on school and use the break as a reward for all the hard work that you have done in the first semester. Of course, don’t spend your time studying and doing homework until 12 at night and then waking up at 6 in the morning with only six hours of sleep. You should balance the amount of study and the amount of fun or free time you have. Do not use procrastination because it adds to the to-do list on the last day before assignments are due. 

“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,” says Neale Donald Walsch. Keep working hard and doing your best. If you are working hard but not seeing improvement, maybe you’re not doing the right practice, or the teacher is just not putting the grades in Power Schools that you need. This is the chance to step up and advocate for yourself for that test grade. In the future, when you graduate High School, you will need to live in the real world or in college where you are taking initiative in what you want to happen. 

Good students go to the library, study essential notes and such, set standards for the grades that they want, help others when they have problems or stress, and enjoy the life they live in. And healthy people balance their desire for academic success with self-care. I am sure all students have the capability to ask for help and can motivate themselves to do their best. Supportive peers can also help. One Sophomore I interviewed, Aarit Vaidya, said that “the best and preferred way to success for him is to form a study group and work efficiently.” Furthermore, forming a study group and using time management wisely will make you more organized for success. 

Our own faculty advisor, Ms. Nation, has one last suggestion: “Make school about learning, not just grades,” she advises. “Value the growth you’re achieving over the course of the semester–it’s really the most important thing.”

For those in need of inspiration, here are some motivating quotes…. 

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be” – Abraham Lincoln

“Life up the weak; inspire the ignorant. Rescue the failures; encourage the deprived. Live to give. Don’t only hustle for survival. Go, and settle for revival.” – Israelmore Ayivor

“Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love for what you are doing.” – Pele

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.” – Albert Einstein

“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams” – Eleanor Roosevelt