Apple will invest over $1 billion for its first campus in NC

Pexels

North Carolina beats out multiple other states for Apple’s latest project.

This Monday, Apple announced its plans to build a new campus and engineering hub in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Over the next 10 years, the company is planning to use $552 million to create a campus located in the Research Triangle Park, which would bring an estimated 3,000 jobs to the area from 2023 to 2032. Employment fields include machine learning, software engineering, artificial intelligence, and more high-tech industries that could reach a minimum average salary of $187,000. Apple plans to also spend $448 million to expand the Catawba County data center, but not open up new job positions there.

This project is predicted by the state Commerce Department to produce additional state revenues of almost $2 billion, and NC Governor Roy Cooper believes that the announcement will benefit businesses in Raleigh by motivating other companies to also move the NC. “Once this campus is up and running, it’s expected to generate more than $1.5 billion a year in economic impact to our state,” Cooper stated.

Apple wants to also lay out a fund of $100 million to support the Triangle area’s community and school initiatives. Jeff Williams, Apple’s chief operating officer, expressed his support for this event. “As a North-Carolina native, I’m thrilled Apple is expanding and creating new long-term job opportunities in the community I grew up in,” he said. As a graduate of N.C. State with a master’s degree from Duke University, Williams also conveyed that he was excited and proud to see North Carolina’s growth and bright future.