The Student News Site of Green Level High School

The Gator's Eye

The Gator's Eye

The Gator's Eye

The Nun II Movie Review

The Nun ll is the latest addition to the Conjuring Universe and has been gaining a bunch of different reactions. Nun ll was created by a new team and cast who promised a more violent and scary experience, which gained mixed reviews from critics and audiences. In this review, we will dive into the strengths and weaknesses of The Nun II and deliver an overall rating of this highly anticipated movie.

(Photo: New Line Cinema / Atomic Monster) comicbook.com

The nun ll continues where the original nun left off, with the demonic nun Valak reining terror on other nuns. However, this movie dives deeper into her origins and the true horrors she brings with her. The aim of this film was to create a Gothic/Demonic atmosphere that would keep the audience on the edge of their seats. They mostly did a good job of doing this by showing more graphically intense scenarios. What most believe the First Nun did better was keeping suspense throughout the movie, incorporating things such as jump scares and more tension prior to them.

One of the many aspects that set The Nun ll apart from the rest of the conjuring universe is its increased level of violence and gore. The film was rated R for its gore-filled content and some of the terror presented with it. This separates the previous films in the conjuring universe because the other movies showed more restraint when it came to gore. However, while they have incorporated more violence, It didn’t translate to a more terrifying experience. Furthermore, many critics actually found this movie to have too much violence and a lack of genuine scares. Most of the reviews I read said they actually would have preferred more jump scares.

With the release of Nun ll we were introduced to new characters while also revisiting old faces from the franchise. While it’s nice seeing new characters in movies, the character development felt lackluster because they did not provide backstories for any of the characters. The cast for the movie is good, but what is holding them back is the short-lasting impression they left in the movie. The lack of compelling characters hinders the audience’s ability to be invested in the story and doesn’t have any kind of emotional impact on the film.

The critics have had a variety of reviews for the Nun ll however there are a lot of similarities in them. Some reviews have loved the film for its Eerie/ Gothic atmosphere and violent scenes, while others criticize it for its repetitive scares and lack of originality. Most audience reactions have been divided, with some appreciating the new boundary-pushing gore in the horror Genre, while others think it fell short of all of the hype.

Emi Colbourn, a senior at Green Level, recently viewed the movie in theaters with a group of friends. When asked to give her opinion on the film, Emi responded, “I enjoyed watching The Nun 2 because of the suspense, unexpected twists, and it had my full attention.”

In conclusion, The Nun ll has a lot of mixed emotions about it. If you like Horror movies such as Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, or Insidious then maybe this movie is for you. However, if you are a fan of classic demonic horror movies such as The Conjuring 1&2, Annabell, or the original Nun, then maybe this movie isn’t for you. Ultimately, The Nun ll will have a different impression on everyone and some may enjoy it more than others. From personal experience, I can appreciate the effort to introduce more Gore and Violence into the horror movie genre, because I feel like many of the recent films have been lacking in that aspect. I personally rate this movie a 7.5 out of 10, but that number will be different for everybody.