The Student News Site of Green Level High School

The Gator's Eye

The Gator's Eye

The Gator's Eye

Olivia Rodrigo Concert Recap

On Friday, March 8th Olivia Rodrigo’s Guts World Tour came to Charlotte, NC! We had the amazing opportunity to be able to attend this concert of one of our favorite artists. 

An extremely important part of concerts are dressing up, and Olivia fans did not disappoint. Spending weeks planning their outfits, fans from all across the country showed up in style. Olivia’s signature color purple painted the stadium with thousands of fans excited to see what the show had to offer. Some fans believe that Olivia will soon switch to red as her color based on recent music videos and merch, so a select few showed out in their crimson for the show.

Starting in Charlotte, Olivia announced that a GUTS Tour Bus fan experience would be offered 10 minutes away from the stadium. This was the first time that she has done a tourist attraction on her tour so far. It was open to the public and featured multiple fun 80’s aspects to highlight her creativity and mind. Some features on the bus include a vanity highlighting her song Bad Idea Right?, a sparkly star toilet that encouraged fans to “Spill their Guts”, and a closet with outfits worn by Rodrigo on her SOUR tour back in 2021. 

A tour-exclusive merch truck was set up outside the stadium where fans lined up hours before the show to get a hold of items. From charm bracelets to sweatshirts to posters, Rodrigo had a plethora of merchandise for any fan to enjoy. The truck was also open to the public, so even if you didn’t have tickets, you could still enjoy the experience. We really loved the theme of the clothes and how well made and thought through they were. Our favorite would have to be the charm bracelet and city charm because it’s a fun customizable piece of jewelry that any age can wear. 

Doors for the show opened at 6:30 and fans quickly flooded into the venue. Spectrum Center contains around 17,500 seats and this show was completely sold out. With more merchandise inside, the crowds soon started to gather across the stadium and fans had to make their way through the sea of people to get to their seats. For seating, one of us sat in the upper bowl and one of us sat in the first row of the floor. Both had amazing views!

Her opener for this show was Chappell Roan who came on at 7:30, a pop singer who has been rising to fame in the past years. Her opening act was electric, with bright lights and fun outfits where she sang some of her hit songs including Pink Pony Club and Casual. Other openers on later parts of the tour include Pink Pantheress, The Breeders, and Remi Wolf. 

After the opening act Olivia puts on a special GUTS candle video on the screen that symbolizes a countdown until she comes on to perform. Around 8:30 Olivia’s intro video featuring her running through a hallway is played on the screen to transition to her song Bad Idea Right? that features a knock on a door played at the beginning of the song. Fans cheered at the sight of the pop star and her show did not disappoint. 

Singing all of her hit songs, Rodrigo had many different aspects involved in her show. For her songs Enough for you and Logical she floated on a crescent moon over the crowd waving to fans. In her song Obsessed she had a clear panel on the stage with a camera underneath while she sang on the floor through the glass. And for her songs Deja Vu and Love is Embarrassing, she did fun and lighthearted dance numbers with her featured dancers. Fans were ecstatic when Olivia sang her hit song Can’t Catch Me Now from the movie Hunger Games: Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. Rodrigo had thousands of fans singing along with her as she journeyed through her career and her music. Tears were cried, screams were screamed, and smiles were made. This emotional rollercoaster of a teenage girl is something that millions of people can relate to in many ways, which makes Olivia such a role model and important figure in the music industry today.

In recent news, Olivia has also released 5 new songs in addition to her album, this new version being called GUTS (spilled). Fans have been in awe over the new songs and possibly one of her biggest hits, So American where she sings about her current boyfriend Louis Partridge. Fans are hoping that as she continues the tour she will eventually sing some of these songs. 

Overall, she is an amazing singer live and people from around the world come to see her performances of her hits. If you’re considering attending her show, we highly recommend it because of the amazing environment and the energy of Rodrigo and her songs. Don’t miss out!