The Student News Site of Green Level High School

The Gator's Eye

The Gator's Eye

The Gator's Eye

UNC Football Ranked in Top 10

Photo Credits: John Gardiner/UNC-Chapel Hill

#12 UNC beat #25 Miami at home on Saturday night after a huge second half offensively. WR Tez Walker had a massive game putting up 6 REC, 132 YDs and 3 TDs in his second game with the Tar Heels. Drake Maye added to his Heisman campaign with 273 YDs and 4 TDs. RB Omarian Hampton had 197 yards and 1 TD as he established himself as the RB1. The Heels are now 6-0 after their 41-31 win. 

After #10 USC lost to Notre Dame and #11 Alabama struggled against Arkansas, UNC moved up 2 spots in the AP Poll and is ranked #10 going into their matchup vs. Virginia. This is their best start since 1997, when they started 8-0. UNC is officially bowl eligible now even if they were to lose out for the rest of the season. They are now tied at the top of the ACC with #4 Florida State. The Tar Heels will look to continue their hot start and make the ACC Championship for the second straight year.

Many Green Level students are hyped about UNC’s start to the season. I asked Jr. Austin Conway about UNC’s chances for the rest of the season, he said, “I really like our odds of making the playoffs in the near future. The core strength lies within the coaching staff lead by Mack Brown. The players trusted him especially Drake Maye who has turned into a star player and Heisman contender. The trust built around UNC’s coaches has brought in very talented recruits such as Tez Walker. The effect carries on for future recruiting classes that’ll see UNC’s current success and associate it with winning.” As you can see, UNC fans are very optimistic about this season and the future of the program. We will have to see if they can close the season out on a high note or finish like they did last year losing their last 4 games.