Timberwolves Win a Playoff Series for the First Time in 20 Years

David Sherman/Getty Images

This past Sunday the Minnesota Timberwolves swept the Phoenix Suns to win their first playoff series in 20 years. The Suns were the favorite to win because of the superstar-studded team with all-stars like Kevin Durant, Devin Booker, and Bradley Beal. The Timberwolves have the best defense in the league and it is showcased in this series. The last time the Timberwolves won a playoff series they had Hall of Famer Kevin Garnett on the team.

The Timberwolves quickly became a fan favorite because of Anthony Edwards who rose to fame this year with his scoring ability and gameplay. Edwards this season averaged 26pts, 5 rebs, 5 ast, and shot 46% from the field. He was accompanied by Karl Anthony Towns who averaged 22 pts, 8 rebs, 3 ast, and shot 50% from the field this season. The center also dropped a career-high 62 points this season. They also have defensive player of the year Rudy Gobert who averaged 14 pts, 13 rebs, and shot 66% from the field. 

In the next round, the Timberwolves face the reigning champs Denver Nuggets who are probably the best-matched team for them. The Nuggets of course are favored to win but I have faith that the Timberwolves can beat the reigning champs.