“Goon Squad” Goes 2-0 this Weekend

The “Goon Squad” after winning their 2 games. Picture credits: Leon Cain II

10 members of the Green Level men’s basketball team are participating in the HoopState Fall League, they played at Garner Road Community Center on Saturday, September 16th. They call themselves the “Goon Squad” and the team is not school-affiliated. In the first game, they played a loaded Durham Hurricanes team featuring lots of athletes and great size. It was a fast-paced high-scoring game in which the Gators pulled out the victory. Jr. Isaac Ericksen dominated the game, scoring 35 points, and Jr. Izzy Eatman contributed with 12 points. I asked Ericksen about the game and he said, “We played a team full of great players, but were able to come out strong and keep the momentum rolling.” 

In the second game, the Goon Squad took on Harvest Day. The Goon Squad started off slow, struggling to adjust to the scrappiness and physicality of Harvest Day. Once the team adjusted it was only up from there. Sr. Trey Manhertz was a key defender down the stretch, locking up Harvest Day’s best player. I asked Manhertz about the win and he said, “It felt good to beat a team we lost to in the summer when we weren’t at full strength.” Ericksen had another big game scoring 26 points. 

I asked Eatman about the impact the team will have on the upcoming season and he said, “You know playing with the Goon Squad is going to bring a lot of team building and chemistry. We’re giving guys that are going to step into a bigger role a chance to gain some experience before the season so we’re better prepared to go win states this year. Being a goon isn’t a choice… it’s a lifestyle.” If they continue to improve and build chemistry, the Gators are poised to make a deep postseason run this season.