The Student News Site of Green Level High School

The Gator's Eye

The Gator's Eye

The Gator's Eye

Surprise Visitor in Chapel Hill

Image from @UNC_Basketball Twitter account.

This past Saturday afternoon, the University of North Carolina men’s basketball program was shocked with a special visit from known rapper, Travis Scott

If you’re not familiar with Travis Scott, the American rapper has had four number 1 hits on the US Billboard Hot 100 in his career. Scott has been nominated for eight Grammy Awards and has a total of 80 chart-topping songs.

Scott was originally supposed to perform in Raleigh on Saturday night, but his tour, Utopia-Circus Maximus, was canceled for unknown reasons, leaving the rapper with some down time. 

Travis Scott made his way to the Dean-Smith Center, as well as spent some time and shared a laugh with the team. If you follow some of the players, specifically on Instagram, it’s likely that your phone got notifications that many of them were going live to capture the exciting moment. 

There was already plenty of hype in Chapel Hill due to the UNC football program winning a high intensity game against the University of Miami on that Saturday as well. Travis Scott coming to the area added to that excitement, as the big-time rapper gave them all smiles that afternoon. 

Scott not only showed off his basketball skills during his time with the team, he expressed his love for the Jordan Brand. The American rapper is usually known to wear his brand, Cactus Jack, but decided to step out of his comfort zone and his comfort shoe to step into a pair of Carolina blue Air Jordan 1 Low sneakers. A player-access only, exclusive colorway shoe for the UNC men’s basketball team.

SuTye Cain, a player on the Green Level men’s basketball team, expressed how if he could choose any rapper to pop up during one of their practices, he would choose Rod Wave and DaBaby. “Rod wave would most likely be ideal, especially since most of the team listens to him. DaBaby would also be cool because he is local and from North Carolina, so that would be a really cool experience.”