The Student News Site of Green Level High School

The Gator's Eye

The Gator's Eye

The Gator's Eye

NC Election Day is Coming Up

Coming up this Tuesday, November 7, 2023, the municipal elections in North Carolina! Citizens from across the county will head to their local voting center and vote for the candidate that best represents their values. High school is a pretty big moment for voting, as the seniors who are 18 (if they’re registered) are able to vote, making it the first time for many that they really partake in politics. 

To see what seniors (those that are eligible that is) at Green Level plan on doing for this year’s election, we interviewed some of them. That being said, we should note that one should do their research before stepping foot into the voting center. Voting for someone random, or just because the “party” told you to is not the way to vote! Do your own research, and determine which candidate best represents your voice, no matter where they come from! 

One senior we interviewed, Rusho Moinuddin said, “Although I plan on voting this year, I’ll be honest and say I haven’t done any research yet, which I probably should. However, I plan on doing at least a bit before I vote on Tuesday. ” Many students had very similar responses about voting to Rusho’s.

On top of that, many seniors who are able to vote are not planning on participating, at least in this year’s election. An anonymous senior said “I don’t know anything about this year’s election. But, I will be voting in the presidential election next year!” This seems to be the case among many seniors, as they wait until next year, the presidential election, to turn in their ballot.

Overall, there are a variety of seniors planning on participating in this year’s or next year’s elections. If you are interested in learning more about the voting process and information visit: https://www.ncsbe.gov/voting/upcoming-election. Good luck voting!