Superbowl Goes into Overtime for 2nd Time in History

This past Sunday, the 58th Super Bowl took place in Las Vegas. The matchup between the Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers was intense but also unique. With a tie of 19-19 at the end of the 4th quarter, the game went into overtime. This was just the 2nd time in Super Bowl history that a game had gone into overtime with the last one in 2017 in the game of Falcons vs. Patriots. With new overtime rules, there are 15-minute periods and each team has an opportunity to possess the ball. If the team that gets the ball first does not score a touchdown, or the score is still tied after both teams have gotten possession, the next score wins. Unfortunately, the 49ers were completely unaware of these new rules before the referee explained them so they did not have a set play plan. On the other hand, the Chiefs were educated on these rules and ready to go. 

At the end of the 1st quarter, neither team had any points but this quickly changed during the second quarter with a halftime score of 10-3. Brock Purdy, the 49ers quarterback had 255 passing yards and a touchdown pass throughout the game. Patrick Mahomes, the Chiefs quarterback had 333 passing yards, 2 touchdown passes, and an interception. 

Jake Moody made a field goal with 7 minutes and 22 seconds remaining in overtime, gaining the 49ers 3 points. The score was 19-22, 49ers at this point and it was looking promising. Then with just 3 seconds left, Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes threw the game-winning pass to Mecole Hardman Jr. who caught the passing in the endzone, making for a Chiefs touchdown. The Chiefs were able to come away with a win, making them back-to-back 23’ 24’ Super Bowl Champions!

With football season fully over, basketball season is in full swing in both the NBA and at Green Level. Our men’s basketball team are SWAC champions with a 23 game winning streak!