Indiana Fever chooses Caitlin Clark as No. 1 Pick in the 24′ WNBA Draft

seeklogo
seeklogo

Caitlin Clark came out of a record-breaking season as the No. 1 overall selection in the WNBA Draft. She was picked by the Indiana Fever Monday night and will continue her career there after a great 4 years at Iowa. As the greatest scorer in college basketball history (both men’s and women’s), it is no surprise that she was so sought after. Her accomplishments are countless, from being a four-time All-American recipient to ending her college career as the all-time leader in points, assists, field goals, 3-point field goals, and free throws. Not only was she the leader this year, she led her conference in both scoring and assists for four seasons in a row. 

As for some stats about her career, she averaged 28.4 points per game, scored 548 3-pointers overall, led the NCAA in scoring as well as in assists in 2021, 2022, and 2024. Throughout the 23-24 season she played in 39 games, averaging 31.6 points, 8.9 assists, and 7.4 rebounds per game. Combined with her 45.5% shooting accuracy, her performance this season was unmatched. The final 3 games of her career were among the most watched in women’s basketball history with 18.7 million viewers in the final Championship game against South Carolina. 

Fevers head coach is excited to welcome Caitlin to the team this upcoming season and even said, “Caitlin is one of the most naturally gifted basketball players I have ever seen enter the WNBA from the college level. Her shooting and passing abilities captivated an entire audience of basketball fans, and her ability to make those around her better was even more evident during her collegiate career. We can’t wait to bring her to Indiana and incorporate her into our locker room with a group ready to get back to the postseason.” After inconsistencies these past few years, the Fever has assembled a carefully crafted team in hopes to regain success. Last year, they welcomed Aliyah Boston, another college superstar, onto the Fever. Both Clark and Boston have been invited to practice with Team USA heading towards this year’s Paris Olympics. 

Clark has expressed her excitement to play alongside Boston and stated post-draft that, “She’s going to make my life easy. She’s incredible. The thing I love about her is she’s just a great person. She loves the game, she knows the game, she supports the game. She has a smile that affects a lot of people and brings a lot of joy to people when they watch her. I can’t wait to be her teammate again.” This power duo is sure to bring talent and fun to the Indiana Fever and WNBA this season. Fevers first game this season will take place on May 14th and they will travel to the Connecticut Sun and just 2 days later host the New York Liberty at their home opener game.