Footloose At Green Level

Footloose hits the Green Level audience on Friday night.

Footloose, the musical performance by Green Level, is finally ready to take the stage. Students at Green Level High School have been working for months on a musical adaptation of the 1984 film directed by Herbert Ross, which has become a world-renowned classic in its own right. Footloose is a film about a small community where dancing and listening to music are prohibited. Ren McCormack, a recent transplant from Chicago, finds himself in the midst of a campaign to change the status quo while falling in love with Ariel Moore, the preacher’s daughter.

Mrs. Craig estimates that her kids have put in around 140 hours of practice. As she explains, “Lots of [the student’s] parents are going to know what this show is, it’s a big important memory for many of them…they’re going to be very emotionally attached to the music.”  

For a musical to be relevant, she feels that it does not have to be set in the present day and age. As a whole, the plot is a very emotional drama/romance that deals with issues such as abuse from a significant other, false allegations, past trauma, and more.

Efforts have been made by the theatre production team to make this film into a jukebox musical, which means that they have taken music clips that were popular at the time of the film’s release and weaved them throughout the tale. In the words of Mrs. Craig, “The music doesn’t have to be current in order for the point, the heart, of what the story is saying to come across.”

Dylan Georges, who will be performing the lead role of Ren McCormack, has been rehearsing for this musical since December of 2021. Dylan began participating in theatre in sixth grade and continued to do so throughout middle school. This will be his first time performing in a musical at Green Level. Asked whether Dylan was apprehensive about being in such a large musical with parents, students, and teachers in the audience, Dylan said he wasn’t. “I’ve been practicing for a long time and I trust the people around me.”

Dylan’s favorite number from the show is the final song before the theatre’s intermission. The lighting changes in a way that he enjoys, and everyone is involved and works together to achieve the desired results. 

Molly Powell portrays Ariel Moore. Molly is a hardworking student at Green Level who enjoys her role because Ariel is rebellious as a result of her stern father’s rules. Every day after school, from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m., she works on her musical performance. “This is my very first musical,” she admits, adding, “and I am very nervous.”

Please join us in the Green Level Auditorium tonight and tomorrow night, April 1st and 2nd, to attend the theatre show. The show will begin at 7:00 p.m. on both nights.

Purchase your tickets by clicking HERE.