Men’s Soccer Kicks off Conference Play

Green+Level+Mens+Soccer+team+after+their+4-0+win+versus+the+Apex+Cougars.+
gator_goonies
Green Level Men’s Soccer team after their 4-0 win versus the Apex Cougars.

The Green Level Men’s Soccer team has begun their 2023 season with a win streak of 5-0, making it the first time that the Gators have concluded pre-season while remaining undefeated. 

They competed in their first game on August 14th against Millbrook. The game ended in a 4-1 win after being down 0-1 in the first half. The next two games they played were against the Fuquay-Varina Jaguars and Willow Spring Storms. The Gators finished ahead of the Jaguars with a 2-1 win, and withheld a shutout against the Storms, ending the game 4-0. The Gators also competed in the NCSCA Kick-Off-Classic at WakeMed Soccer Park and went up against the highly competitive, J.H. Rose, from Greenville. The Gators maintained a majority of possession throughout the game and found their success by connecting through the midfield and creating numerous chances in the attacking third. They were able to execute and put 6 in the back of the net; ending the game with not only another win but also another shutout.

After a successful first few weeks of non-conference play, the Gators competed in their first conference match, Away, on September 6th, versus the Apex Cougars. Last year, these two teams faced each other a total of three times: once for the Wake County Cup and twice in conference. Two of the games ended in a loss after extended play (OT), and the other in a tie. However; this year the Gators were determined to come home with the win. Overall, it was a very intense and fast-paced game. In the first 20 minutes, the Gators secured two goals by Sr. Sean O’Dowd and Sr. Thomas Phelps. Going into halftime and after having a solid lead, the Gators remained composed; however, the Cougars refused to back down and continued to put up a fight. The second half included a lot of physicality on both sides of the ball but the Cougars were not able to break down the defense that the Gators constructed. Late in the second half, goals by Jr. Landon Ung and Sr. Ellis Garver stomped any chances that the Cougars had for a comeback against the Gators and ended the game in a 4-0 win. Garver went on to receive Player of the Game. 

In an interview with Head Coach Deniz Solakoglu, he tells us about how he feels the season is going so far.

“Naturally the season is going very very well…22 goals for and 2 against…being 5-0, with that kind of goal count, we couldn’t be happier…beyond anything statistically speaking, I think the team camaraderie is really strong…all of those things that aren’t quite so measurable…the intangibles.. are really really good,” he says.

The Gators are currently ranked No. 1 in NCHSAA 4A East and 4th in the state. “I love seeing that because, to me, it is a reflection of what the players deserve. I think it is important; however, it really doesn’t signal any of our goals. At the end of it all, our goals are to first win the SWAC, and then go from there…the target on our backs gets bigger and bigger as you achieve higher ranking,” Solakoglu says. 

The Gators are currently on a 3-game shutout streak. They will continue their conference games at home next week, where they will compete against the Panther Creek Catamounts on Monday, Sept. 11th, and the Cary Imps on Wednesday, Sept. 13th.