The Student News Site of Green Level High School

The Gator's Eye

The Gator's Eye

The Gator's Eye

Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month

This year marks the 54th anniversary of Hispanic heritage month and as we begin to celebrate it here is everything you need to know about this very special month. 

Why September 15th – October 15th?

September 15th is an important day for all Hispanics as it not only marks the beginning of Hispanic Heritage Month but also marks a 1 month period of pride and celebration  for the Hispanic community. On September 15th,  5  countries (Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicragua)  finally declared independence from Spain. This sparked  many more countries to  follow including Mexico on the 16th and Chile on the 18th. September 15th was first recognized as the beginning of Hispanic heritage month under the Johnson administration in 1968 but was only given a week and this idea was  extended by the Reagen administration until U.S Representative Esteban E. Torres of California proposed an expansion of the week. This proposal was written into a bill that congress passed  in 1988 making it a 30 day period which was enacted into law on August 17th 1988 with the approval of public law l00-402. 

Who are some latin trailblazers to celebrate during this month? 

Cezar Chavez

Cezar Chavez was a labor leader that employed nonviolent means to bring attention to the plight of farmworkers. Cezar Chavez dedicated his life’s work to “La Causa” which was the struggle of farm workers and worked to improve their working and living conditions through organizing and negotiating contracts. 

Dolores Huerta 

Dolores Huerta created the agricultural workers accusation in 1960 and Co-funded what would become the United Farm Workers. Dolores huerta was a civil rights activist and a labor law activist as well. Dolores Huerta was one of the most influential activists of the 20th century and the leader of the chicano civil rights movement. She is also famous for her “Si se puede” slogan which inspired President Obamas “Yes we can” campaign.

Gabriel García Márquez 

Gabrial García Márquez is considered one of the most significant authors of the 20th century and is a nobel prize winning novelist. As an author he mastered the literary style of magic realism with his enchanting events of love and madness and wars and politics. Garcia was a trailblazer in the promotion of international discoveries and helped promote well known artists who were only well known in their respective countries.  

What does hispanic heritage month mean to you? 

“It gives us an opportunity to celebrate our origin and culture and it gives us a chance to celebrate all of our beautiful countries together,” claims Green Level teacher, Señora Sibello.

“I feel very appreciated at green level high school during the month of hispanic heritage month. We are 6% hispanics/latino at GLHS and the representation we receive is amazing. HSU unites the hispanics/latino and come together to find new ways to celebrate being hispanic, especially during the month of hispanics heritage month” say Lia Medrano, a Green Level student.