Men’s Lacrosse Secures SWAC Title

The men’s lacrosse team at Green Level has been a strong force since their program was established in 2019. 

In the 2021 season, they finished with an overall record of 9-3 and 2nd in the conference. In 2022, their record was 16-5, coming out 3rd in the SWAC.

Last year, they had an overall record of 17-4, and a conference record of 12-2, putting them at 2nd in conference, right behind Middle Creek.

#20 Jr. Aj Ahart.
Image Credits: aarush_photographs

Currently, they have an overall record of 16-2 and a conference record of 12-1. In the first round of conference play, the Gators fell to the Mustangs, 9-13, marking their first and only loss in conference thus far. 

This past Tuesday, April 23rd, the Gators took on the Middle Creek Mustangs for the second time this year.

After the first quarter, the score was tied 1-1 after #20 Jr. Aj Ahart was the first player to put the Gators on the scoreboard. In the second quarter, the Gators started with intensity, and #23 Sr. Gus Maggio scored back-to-back goals, putting the Gators in a 3-2 lead. #11 Jr. Harrison Murray and Ahart kept the momentum going and both scored, putting the Gators in a 5-2 lead at half-time. In quarter 3, both teams were successful on the attack. Green Level had goals by Murray and #10 Sr. Austin Hyrn (2). The Mustangs were able to secure 2 but were going into the last quarter down with a score of 4-8. In the last quarter of the game, the Gators secured the win. They acquired 3 more goals by Murray and #26 Jr. Kelan Moore (2); and only gave up one goal to the Mustangs. 

The game ended in an 11-5 win for the Gators, marking the first time in school history that lacrosse has defeated the Middle Creek Mustangs. During the game, Murray scored his 100th career goal. The Gator Bling was given to Ahart for acquiring 4 points during the game and helping to lead the team on offense. 

The Gators sit at 1st in the NC 4A East rankings, and 77th nationally.

Murray leads the team with a total of 45 goals and 22 assists. 

Maggio is close behind with 38 goals and 23 assists. 

FOGO, Sr. Josh Smith has won 75% of face-offs, with a ratio of 236:311. Smith is also ranked 2nd in the state and 20th nationally for ground balls, with a total of 116.

Goalie, Sr. Ethan Stein has saved 154/250 shots on goal this season.

More individual and team stats can be found on MaxPreps.  

The Gators remain undefeated on their home turf and will likely host a game early in the playoffs.