Men’s Golf Team Ready to Take on Conference

The men’s golf team has been having a comeback and just in time for playoffs. They were off to a slow start at the beginning of the season and took home some 3rd place finishes at the SWAC conference matches but they weren’t satisfied with just third place. They have flicked a switch and are ready to take on the rest of the conference season and playoffs. 

The team went into their match at MacGregor Downs last Thursday, 4/18, with high hopes and they definitely didn’t disappoint. Jr. Quin Covington led the team with a 35, earning himself medalist of the match. Sr. Cooper Champ and Jr. Davis Hunter followed closely with a 36’s  and then Sr. Peter Pucci with a 38. The team clinched their first 1st place win with a total team score of 145, their second lowest score of the season.

Jr. Quin Covington, posing for a picture after the TYGA Pinecrest Boys Invitational where he shot a -4(68). (g_l_athletics)

This past Wednesday, 4/24, the team traveled down to Pinehurst No. 9 to play in the TYGA Pinecrest Boys Invitational. The team really locked in came home with a solid 11th place in a difficult field and even beat Green Hope by 4 strokes. To make the day even better, Jr. Quin Covington shocked everyone by shooting a 4-under, 68, and took home medalist of the tournament. The team is peaking and their post-season is looking bright.

I got to speak to Coach Rogers about his thoughts and the season and what’s upcoming for the team:

How’s the team looking going into Conference on Monday?

I feel like we are in a good position coming off winning a conference match last week and playing well at the Pinecrest invitational. I feel like we are peaking at the right time and hopefully can build on this momentum on Monday.

How are you feeling about the playoffs?

Good. I feel like we got off to a slow start at the beginning of the season. I think that the guys really thrive when playing 18 holes versus 9 holes, so I feel like we are in a good position to be successful and like I said, hopefully we can build on the momentum we had last week and continue to a strong finish.

What’s the team been doing to prepare for this?

I think 2 things really, getting out on the course as often as we can but also kind of focusing on our game from a mental perspective, preparing for each course and the unique challenges that they each bring. But also just being a united front and making sure that we are working together as a team and making sure that we are all committed to be as successful as we can. 

The team will take on Keith Hills this Monday, 4/29, for the conference match. Good luck guys and we are excited to see what you guys can do!