Are Cell Phones More of a Distraction Than you Think?

Are cellphones being misused? Photo from Pixabay.

We all know cell phones are very distracting, but are people’s obsession with phones getting worse?

Schools say that cell phones are such a distraction that they are thinking of banning them. No decisions have been made anywhere but many teachers have noticed that cell phones are more and more distracting lately. Students are addicted to their phones and teachers are worried that they aren’t learning anything. Many teachers say that they have tried to implement rules about restricting cell phone use but it hasn’t helped at all. Restricting the use of phones has encouraged and enabled students to use them more. 

According to MV Organizing, “Most students agree that phones are a distraction in class and could cause drama. They believe having phones in school isn’t a bad thing, but students could cheat on tests and could have a distraction toward other students.” This shows that aside from being a distraction, phones can be used to cheat on tests and quizzes that will hurt your learning. Not only will the teachers catch on after a while, but when students are taking finals, they won’t have phones. In the end, cell phones hurt students. Of course, phones have their pros as well, but during school, it’s mostly cons. 

Some teachers here at Green Level also feel this way. Social Studies teacher Mr. Colford says, “I try to understand as a teacher that teenagers’ cell phones are an important part of their life. I try not to be hypocritical about this issue because I use my cell phone quite a bit in my personal life. I will say, however, students are abusing this in class, and I think we should have a uniform school policy about cell phone use in class.”

Another loved teacher at our school, Mrs. Schaefer, says something similar: “I feel that students are easily distracted by cell phones in class. Some students can do well, while others struggle because they pay more attention to social media platforms than their studies.”

All in all, it seems like cell phone use is bothersome to teachers and it looks like students can’t seem to focus in class with their phones sitting right next to them. What will happen to cell phones in school? Will the rules continue as they are now or will new rules arise?