Is Omicron Sending Us Back Online?

As Covid cases rise, so do concerns about school. Graphic by D. Khan.

In March 2022, we’ll be reaching two years of this dangerous, miserable Coronavirus pandemic. But although things have got better, the new Omicron variant is making cases rise again. In fact, the US recently hit a record-breaking 1.08 million Covid cases in a single day. According to the CDC, although most Americans are vaccinated, our hospitals are still flooded. It looks like things are getting bad again–are we getting March 2020, round two? 

According to a survey among over 70 GLHS students, 75% believe that we’ll be going back online. Gators are conflicted–some students, such as Fatima Hussain and Karissa Ingram, believe we’ll start with two weeks again just for time to keep extending–just like in 2020. Others, such as Maddy Linares, think we’ll have to find a way to make in-person school work because of the many issues in online communication.

Almost every student agrees that changes are coming, even if many don’t want things to switch. “Of course, I don’t want to graduate online,” says senior Nithya Janapati, “but we’re getting calls every day about a new relative who got Covid. It’s a scary situation, and the school doesn’t feel as safe as before.” Other students, such as Mitali and Pranav, show concern over the amount of Green Level students and staff out sick this week and the rising positive results. Generally, GLHS students agree that WCPSS needs to take steps to prioritize safety. It looks like most think these steps will lead to a virtual/hybrid second semester.

But are these thoughts pessimistic and paranoid, or is online learning a genuine possibility again? Although Wake County hasn’t announced anything about schools, Cumberland County is considering a return to virtual school. Other schools throughout the country have already switched back. Sending us home isn’t impossible, but don’t start packing up yet–we don’t know anything until the school board tells us. As long as everyone wears their masks and quarantines when necessary, we could stay in-person. No matter what happens, the students and staff of Wake County will find a way to persevere.