Women’s Tennis Rallies to the End of Conference

The seniors on the women’s tennis team. @G_L_Athletics

The Green Level women’s tennis team has finished conference play in their 2023 season.

They ended with a win-loss record of 10-4, putting them at 5th in the SWAC right behind the reigning State Champs, the Green Hope Falcons. The Gators are ranked No.16 in the 4A East NCHSAA RPI Standings.

The team is led by Sr. Aarna Prashanth, with an 8-2 singles record, and in doubles, Prashanth and Sr. Ariana Mohan have had an overall winning record of 7-3.

On Monday, October 2nd, the Gators went up against the Middle Creek Mustangs where they defeated the Mustangs 9-0. It was also Senior Night for the Gators, where they took the time after the match to celebrate their five players in this year’s graduating class: Aarna Prashanth, Ariana Mohan, Nidhi Peddibhotla, Khushi Hisaria, and Lia Medrano. 

Prashanth, Peddibhotla, and Jr. Aadhya Mittapalli, all defeated their opponents 6-0, not dropping any games throughout the match. Medrano and Hisaria also defeated their opponents in the doubles matchup 8-0. 

Last year, the Gators also finished 5th in the SWAC with a 9-6 overall record. The team made a run at regionals and states; however, did not place in either. 

When talking to Prashanth about the season overall, she says, “I feel that compared to last season, we have learned to  be stronger and we have been able to grow and ended up winning against schools that we previously have not beat.”

Their last match was on Wednesday, October 4th, against the Apex Friendship Patriots. They ended the conference season with a 5-4 win. 

“The season has been absolutely amazing and so rewarding. As a team, we have been resilient throughout the season and all of our players gave their best in every match. Personally, I felt that this has been such a great senior season and I have been able to learn so much from everyone on the team,” Prashanth states.

The Gators will go on to compete in the SWAC Championship beginning on Tuesday, October 10th. Best of luck!