Women’s Golf Swings Into the Season

g_l_wgolf
The Gators at the Preserve after their second match of the season.

The Green Level Women’s Golf team has started their 2023 season. 

Their first match was at Devils Ridge Golf Course in Holly Springs, NC, on August 14th. The Gators competed against the 7 other schools in the SWAC and finished out on top with a combined score of 216, creating a 26-stroke difference between them and the second place team: the Apex Cougars. Junior Captain, Lauren Eggers, medaled and was recognized as the Player of the Match after finishing with a low score of 35. 

Eggers was also named as the Student-Athlete of The Week after the opening match. 

The second match of the season was at The Preserve at Jordan Lake on August 22nd, where the Gators finished with a combined score of 223; once again putting them at the top.

In an interview with Eggers, she tells us how she thinks the season is going thus far, “I think its going really well. We’ve won our first two matches and I feel like our team is feeling pretty confident overall… My goal is to keep my average in the thirties and then have consistent scores.”

Last year, the Gators competed in a total of 51 Rounds, with 7 wins and three 2nd-place finishes. They also went on to compete at the NCHSAA 4A Women’s Golf State Championship, where they finished in 5th place. 

With it being her third year on the team and being a captain this season, Eggers says, “I am hoping to make sure that all of our teammates get a chance to play and experience what playing in a golf match is like because it is definitely surreal.”

The Gators will be back in action today, September 5th, at RGA, where they will look to continue their win streak.