Women’s Basketball Defeats the Jaguars

M. Toppin
The Green Level women’s basketball team huddled up at their game versus Athens Drive on Friday, December 8th.

On Friday, December 8th, the Green Level Gators clinched a 39-29 victory over the Athens Drive Jaguars, putting them at 3-3 for the 2023-2024 season. 

The Gators were led by Sr. Deana Prasad who obtained a total of 14 points, as well as Jr. Stella Eckhart and So. Claire Barber who both earned 9 points. 

At half-time, the Gators were up 23-13. During the 3rd quarter, the gap between the teams lengthened with the score increasing to 37-24. The Jaguars kept up a fight and were able to earn 15 points in the last quarter; however, the Gators still came out on top with a 10 point lead by the end of the game.

When talking to Eckhart about how she feels the game went, she said, “I feel really good about the win against Athens on Friday because it was a big win after losing 3 games in a row against 3 really good teams. I think this win will prepare us well for regular conference play starting on Tuesday.”

Before this game, the Gators competed in several other non-conference matchups. They started on a strong foot, beating both Broughton and Fuquay-Varina; however, they suffered tough losses to Cape Fear, Willow Spring, and Rolesville.

“Our biggest team goal is making it farther in the playoffs than we did last year and placing higher in our conference play,” says Eckhart.

Last year the Gators finished 11-16 overall and 4th in the conference. They made it to the state playoffs , unfortunately losing to Panther Creek, who went on to win the state title. 

The Gators will be back in action at home on December 12th versus Apex High School to compete in their first conference game of the season.