Spring Sports Preview

The stadium field has been refurbished for the upcoming spring sports. @g_l_athletics

The last athletic season for the 2023-2024 school year is quickly approaching. The sports competing are baseball, boys/girls lacrosse, stunt, girls soccer, boys/girls track & field, boys golf, softball, and boys tennis.

Take a look back at how these teams did last year: 2023 Spring Sports Wrap-up 

The men’s lacrosse team only lost a total of 3 seniors and is looking to make strides this year after finishing 2nd place in SWAC and making it to the second round of playoffs. We interviewed the SWAC Coach of the Year Coach Sopko and this is what he said about the 2024 season: “Really excited, really senior heavy… we are coming into this season with a chip on our shoulder, based on our early exit last year.” We asked what his goals are for the team this season and he said “really simple, just get better every day.”

Women’s soccer is looking to improve off of their season last year after finishing 4th in SWAC and making it to the first round of state playoffs.

Coach Poland takes over the program for his first year as the varsity head coach after Coach Stacy Lamb steps down. Poland has experience coaching the JV men’s soccer team, as well as the JV women’s basketball team, and just recently he was also been given the role of the head men’s varsity soccer coach for the next school year.

The men’s golf team is striving to improve from their impressive 8th-place finish at states in 2023. Without losing a single senior from last year the team will just continue to get stronger. We asked Junior Quin Covington how he was feeling about the upcoming season and he said, “I think we can finish at the top of the SWAC hopefully in first place…I also want to finish as high as we can in the States, higher than we did last year.”

The results of other sports in the prior year include, the baseball team finishing 7-16 overall  and 4th in SWAC,  the girl’s lacrosse team also finished 4th in SWAC with a 10-9 overall record, and the men’s tennis team finished 5th with a 10-4 record. 

The track and field team was very successful last year with several athletes having qualified for nationals. Sr. Hussain Hassan had some thoughts on his final season, “We’re excited for the upcoming outdoor season and are ready to put all the hard work we’ve done so far to show. I’m ready to see what our long sprinters can put on the track and, overall, compete as a force in the conference.”

We interviewed the head coach of the softball team, Coach Connelly, about the upcoming season and this is what she had to say, “I’m feeling good, looking forward to getting some strong incoming freshmen along with having seniors that are ready to take on a bigger leadership role. Looking to improve our defense along with more hits into the outfield.” As you can see the team wants to be ready to improve upon what they built last season. 

The spring sports have finished tryouts and most are in the midst of preseason, best of luck to all of the students participating and in the season to come!