Super Bowl LVIII Preview

Image Credits: Kirby Lee USA TODAY Sports

The San Francisco 49ers and the Kansas City Chiefs will play for the Super Bowl this Sunday, February 11th at 6:30 pm ET in Las Vegas, Nevada. This game features two juggernauts and potential dynasties in the NFL. Will former Mr. Irrelevant Brock Purdy lead the 49ers to their first Super Bowl since 1995 or will Patrick Mahomes win his 3rd Super Bowl and cement himself as the best QB of this era?

The 49ers come into this game being the 1st seed in the NFC, with an overall record of 14-5. They are led by a high-powered offense with the Shanahan system maximizing the potential of all their offensive weapons. RB Christian McCaffery is the frontrunner for OPOY with 1,459 YDs and 14 TDs on the season. WR Deebo Samuel, WR Brandon Aiyuk, and TE George Kittle are phenomenal vessels for Brock Purdy to distribute the ball to. QB Brock Purdy has proved all the haters wrong all season by proving he is not just a product of his system. 

The Chiefs are 14-6 and are the 3rd seed coming out of the AFC. They are a different team this year than they have been in the past. Normally their offense is putting this team on their back but this year they have a stifling defense. They are headlined by CB LaJarius Sneed, DT Chris Jones, and LB Nick Bolton who have all had incredible seasons. They are the 2nd rated defense in the NFL this season only behind the Browns. The offense started the season very shaky with a suspect WR room that lacked a true WR1. Rookie Rashee Rice has stepped up and has been Mahomes’ favorite target other than old reliable Travis Kelce. Marquez Valdes Scantling has improved drastically from earlier this year and Isaiah Pacheco continues to be a force on the ground. The Chiefs’ OL has also stepped up and only allowed 1 sack this entire playoff run. Patrick Mahomes always turns his game up a notch in the playoffs as we saw in his performances over the last month. 

I think the game will be low-scoring because of the tremendous defenses on display in this game. I think it will come down to the final drive with the ball in Mahomes’ hands to win the game. I think the 49ers’ defense will come up with a massive stop and win this game in the final minute, with a score of 24-17. 

Many people will be tuned in for this game even if they don’t watch football. People will be there for the commercials, halftime show, and Taylor Swift too. I asked Green Level students who they thought would win this game, here is a chart showing the responses that I got.

Graph displaying the Super Bowl predictions of students at Green Level.